14 March 2012

Life Lessons at Starbucks


I went for a head-clearing walk yesterday, because it’s time to think about my future. The cozy days of being holed up in the house are coming to a close. Radiation might knock me on my arse, but since that hasn’t started, I’ve got to start making plans.

Nothing major, of course. But I do need to go back to work. My job, which often involves long days and traffic doesn’t seem very attractive anymore. I’m also wondering how and when (if ever) to debut my short gray hairs. And I do need to keep on top of little life chores. For example, how do I tell my accountant that she’s been replaced? Do I make the dreaded phone call or write a polite (passive/aggressive) email? Or, do I forget it all and go on a road trip with my cousin. Overwhelmed by decision-making, I choose to do nothing and go for a walk instead. Somehow I end up at a Starbucks on the Danforth, standing behind a dad and his daughter.

Planning for the Future
The daughter is looking into other pastry case and going over all the options. She’s about three feet tall, and is taking her time. Dad is coaching her on the pros and cons of each option. She likes the little cupcakes and dad tells her that’s a ‘great choice!’ But, she also finds them a bit too small, and is curious about the giant chocolate chip cookie. He says that’s also a ‘fantastic choice’ and asks her the pros and cons of her cookie. 'It’s big.' Dad says it’s big enough to share, and she scowls slightly.

Normally I prefer not to be stuck behind this kind of parental life coaching. Or be at Starbucks at all, but this was kind of interesting. Dad was getting impatient. ‘Make your choice,’ he said. She looked up at him. ‘Just make your choice,’ he continued, ‘And commit.' He slapped his fist into an open palm,  like Tony Robbins, and continued, ‘Just choose what you want, and stand behind it!’

The kid looked like she was going to cry, but I was soaking it all up. Yes kid, commit! Dad was shifting into high gear, as I suspect that was his nature. ‘If you don’t make a choice, Sophie, you will end up with nothing’. Yes! That’s exactly what will happen, I thought. Which is why I ended up wandering up to Starbucks  (which I loathe) rather than tackling life at home. ‘Doing nothing gets you nowhere,’ I was tempted to chime in.  So I resolved to go home immediately to make my own coffee, write my accountant, and get in touch with my cousin.

I wanted to bring the dad home with me, and hire him as my life coach. But his daughter needed him more. Just as dad thought he’d was in the home stretch, little Sophie wanted to discuss the merits of a brownie.



2 comments:

  1. but I thought you wanted ME to be your life coach? I'd let you choose whatever cookie you wanted. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! You are my first choice. However, your job is to get me the cookie I need, not the cookie I want, dammit!

    ReplyDelete