17 April 2012

I'm a Full Time Job


Tomorrow I start a part time job. But today, as all other days, my full time job is me.

Back in the fall, when I was preparing myself for chemo, a favourite friend said, ‘You have to take care of yourself. That is your job.’ I listened, and took note. But I never thought that I would be so high maintenance. Turns out that I am a full time job. Here's why

Eating Right: (2 Hours)
Jugo sde Naranja
Mom was right. Breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day. These days it’s hot oatmeal, freshly ground flax, sliced fruit, and fresh squeezed orange juice. I use an old fashioned juicer I bought in Mexico. It weighs about a thousand pounds and is a pain in the ass to clean.

Lunch or dinner often involve kale, or something equally and green and leafy. Kale is excellent for it’s health benefits, but takes ages to prepare. Washing, cutting, waiting for it to wilt. Or getting impatient and eating it half cooked, but then it takes too long to chew.

Medical Stuff (3 Hours)
Since the diagnosis, I’ve been to a 63 medical appointments. And since doctors generally keep me waiting, this ads up to a part time job all by itself. Not to mention the time spent on the phone dealing with idiots. During radiation, I’m at the hospital every day. Not a hardship really – but I’d rather be doing something less radioactive.

Exercise (3 Hours)
Man's Best Friend
Walking a basset hound isn’t really ‘exercise’. Carpenter ants pass us on the street. Regardless, I am outdoors on the end of the leash, or in the dog park, trying to be invisible.
And yoga. Classes are 90 minutes, plus travel, and who has time for that? No wonder people are racing across town with their yoga mats looking like they’re on the verge of a heart attack. It’s not healthy.

Domestic Drudgery (2 Hours)
My favourite household task is shaving my pilling sweaters. I have a hand-held machine that is not only highly efficient, but also extremely rewarding. Plus, I can shave while I watch Dancing with the Stars

Man's Other Best Friend
Grooming: (4 Minutes)
Optional. But I always wear lipstick.

Total Time    10 hours and 4 minutes.

Clearly I’m going to have to have to make changes to accommodate my new schedule. Since I go to bed at 9, something has to go. And since Jed, food and canceritis treatment are a priority, something must be struck off the list. So,  So Long Domestic Drudgery! The lady is going back to work.




No comments:

Post a Comment